Discussion about a new BLFS release

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 5 09:23:02 PDT 2010

DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/04/10 18:23 CST:
> I'm sure there are some other minor things laying around, but they will
> get picked up as we start to blast through it. I can't believe we are
> actually discussing a release! That's just cool!

And what version should we target? I see there being two choices. Target
for 6.7 and release as soon as we can. Or, target for 6.8 and coincide
our release with the next LFS release.

I'm not concerned that every package meets a specific version of LFS. As
long as each package (well, most anyway) reflects that it builds (and
works is even better) with any current version of LFS should suffice.

I'm going to try to build a fairly extensive desktop (GNOME), and build
most of the servers so I'll be touching many of the BLFS packages. I've
already installed Python-2.7, so I might be able to work out any bugs I
come across there, and like DJ am working with BDB-5.x. I am using a
very current LFS (20101029) as my platform.

Comments are welcome.

--
Randy

11:16:01 up 3 days, 17:10, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.32, 0.51