Discussion about a new BLFS release

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 4 15:04:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 12:00:05PM -0400, Robert Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 09:57, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > Sections 26-28: KDE
> > Not even a clue what to do here. The book version is a more than two
> > year old desktop that I don't even know if anyone has been following for
> > security patches. Nobody likes CMake and KDE4.x (well, not really nobody,
> > but there has been no book development towards it), so what to do?
>
> You know, I said I was going to put Trinity stuff for KDE, and I still
> stand by it.
> However, since I have absolutely no clue how to work the XML files
> (and it'd make me lazy, lol), I'll throw everything into text files
> and attach it.

 Actually, from time to time they would make your head explode, and
the xml is generally a lot *harder* than plain text.  Occasionally,
the error messages just report that index.xml failed to validate in a
non-existent line number).  But there is usually a way around -
knowing exactly *what* you changed helps there.  More to the point,
text is easier for most people to review and would be fine.

> For trinity, however, I'm going to require an old version of Autoconf, 2.63.
> I can also post build directions for that (in /opt) when I get to that.

 Are you sure it needs an old version ?  I took a brief look at
tqtinterface, copied in my installed libtool.m4 to
admin/libtool.m4.in, and ltmain.sh to admin/ltmain.sh and then 'make
-f admin/Makefile.common' _seemed_ to work adequately.  But that was
as far as I went because I didn't have space or time to build qt4.

 It seems that it ought to build using qt4, because --enable-qt4
appears to disable all qt3 support in tqtinterface, but confirmation
would be nice.

 And has anyone any links to upstream bugzilla or development ?

ĸen