KDE 3.5.11?

Robert Xu robxu9 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 20:41:37 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 23:16, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 08:56 PM, Robert Xu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know we ended the discussion about keeping KDE 3.5.10 a long time ago, but
>> I just heard about some unofficial KDE 3.5 branch, called KDE Trinity.
>> They've released
>> a 3.5.11 of KDE 3, and I think they're trying to port it to use Qt4.
>> Is it possible that we could
>> update our KDE to their KDE 3.5.11? maybe? Or should we just stick
>> with what we have?
>>

> Robert, sorry for the late reply.  Does KDE 3.5.10 still build

Very late. :P

> correctly?  I was hoping we still had a few KDE3 fans about to speak up.
>  I don't believe anybody has plans to put KDE-4.x into the book ATM.  If
> you (or anybody else) would like to put in the leg work to getting the
> book to use Trinity, I'll be happy to build, test, and commit it rather
> than ditching KDE all together.  I'd rather like to see KDE-4, but I
> really just don't have the time or energy to figure out cmake and
> friends and there just doesn't seem to be any interest from anyone,
> editor or contributors, in putting it into the book.  Eventually, I'll
> have to learn at least cmake as some projects will want it soon enough.

As far as I know, KDE 3.5.10 still builds and runs under LFS 6.5. :)

> A couple of things regarding the book commits for whoever (if anyone)
> would like to take it on:
>
> 1.  Start with a wiki page, or with a custom copy of the book, we can
> host it or you can, try to keep it synced with current as best you can.

I think I'll just do a wiki page. Easier for me.

> 2.  You need to be sure that there is an informational page explaining
> that Trinity is not KDE, and is in no way related to KDE beyond that
> KDE-3.5.10 is the base from which Trinity was created.  Bug reports go
> to Trinity, not to KDE.org.

ok...

> 3.  The informational page should mention that translations are known to
> be out of date and that only English is officially supported, unless
> this has changed since I last looked (which was a couple of months ago).

I think this is the case as well. The rest of the KDE translations are
from 3.5.10.

> 4.  Whoever takes it on will learn what it is like to account for *all*
> optional dependencies.  This is not a fun task, and with KDE, I'd
> imagine at least 5 or 6 full builds from a base system.  Use some form
> of snapshot and the /opt prefix for easy testing.

The maintainer of Trinity also has a PPA for Trinity. Might make
dependencies easier.

> 5.  Figure out if there is a way to separate it back into the original
> 15 logical packages (or whatever it was).
>
> 6.  We should host the downloads on our mirrors as it took something
> like 8 hours to download a 600MB file from the current host.

Trinity is really slow. And it's practically a SVN export. I have to
split it up into sub-packages myself.

> I hope that they eventually get that into Alioth, or some sort of host
> to that effect, and split back into meta packages (assuming that there
> is still some interest).

I hope there is.

> -- DJ Lucas
>
> --

I've just registered on the BLFS trac, so I'll be putting things over
there as I get to them.
(It'll take a bit of time; I'm busy some/most of the time)

--
later, Robert Xu