OT: An dicussion of software ethnics (was: Re: Go-oo vs. OOo - Opinions?)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:02:36 PDT 2010

William Immendorf wrote:

> And Microsoft is loosing a lot of money each year.

s/loose/lose/

Not exactly.  They made $4B profit last year.  They have about $45B in
net assets.

Not that it was reflected in the stock price. It has been fluctuating
between $20 and $30/share for the last 10 years.  They do pay about
2%/year dividend that is not great, but better than a savings account.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MSFT&fstype=ii
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2009/01/microsoft-stock.html

> If I'm correct, than Microsoft will go belly up (and the free
> software community will rejoice, including me.)

Be careful what you wish for.  They are actually a tremendous motivator
for the Free software community.  A reduced position would be
beneficial, but I think complete elimination, in addition to being quite
unrealistic, would actually be counter-productive.