Go-OO vs. OOo - Opinions?

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 16 19:33:42 PDT 2010

I'm pretty sure that I've asked on list previously, but I don't recall
the outcome (or if there were any answers at all).  The advantages over
raw OpenOffice.org are that it includes some pretty significant fixes
that haven't hit upstream releases yet, including WP and OpenXML
(Microsoft Office 2007+) import and export out of the box, and native
dialog boxes (gtk,kde,kde4) which give it a much cleaner look IMO, plus
it includes patches to build against the latest system versions of
dependent software.  It is also what is currently shipped with most
distros -- this usually wouldn't be a consideration, but I'd imagine
that it will provide better support searches and some additional options
and resources.

Here is my proposed OOo default configuration, which is to be sent upstream:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/ooo-build-3.2.0.7-BLFS_Config-1.patch

Could also add the Go-OO logos and splash as well to differentiate from
OOo.  The user would have the option to change the default
configuration, by editing distro-config/BLFS.conf, but the book won't go
into it more than a mention of the config options (see below) and a note
that they are untested.  With the suggested configuration (see patch),
we are looking at Ant, GTK+, GStreamer, JDK, ODBC, Neon, OpenSSL, and
Python as required dependencies.  Neon is only included in the list
because it may or may not build against the installed APR and APR-Util.
 I also might try to shoehorn in a db-5.0 patch (think it is only a
configure issue) upstream and add --with-system-db by default if I could
get it in time for 3.2.1 stable (currently at 3.2.1.4).

Of interest other than those above is --enable-gnome-vfs,
- --with-system-mozilla=xulrunner (which breaks Thunderbird address book
support, so I've opted to keep the internal seamonkey build),
- --enable-evolution (which adds EDS and Evolution address book support,
but I don't know if only EDS is required or both yet), and
- --with-system-{saxon,xalan,xerces} if you are a java person and happen
to have them handy.  Same thing with --with-system-* (hunspell, hyph,
dict, icu, boost, etc).

Build instructions:

<download lots of files>
patch -Np1 -i ../ooo-build-3.2.0.7-BLFS_Config-1.patch &&
./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --disable-odk \
            --enable-cairo \
            --disable-kde \
            --disable-kde4 \
            --disable-mono \
            --without-git \
            --with-srcdir=$PWD/../OOO_Source \
            --enable-extensions \
            --with-lang=ALL \
            --with-distro=BLFS &&
make build.prepare &&
cp ../seamonkey-1.1.14.source.tar.bz2 build/ooo320-m12/moz/download &&
make &&
sudo make install &&
for file in /usr/lib/ooo-3.2/share/extension/install/*.oxt
do
    /usr/lib/ooo-3.2/program/unopkg add --shared $file
done

As you can see, instructions are a little less cumbersome than raw OOo.
 BTW, not very happy with LightProof, Testing Language Tool as a working
replacement.

- -- DJ Lucas