nfs-server bootscript mount nfsd

Erik-Jan ej.lfs at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 14 12:04:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

I had some problems doing a nfs mount of a filesystem that had another
filesystem mounted on it. The contents of the second filesystem wasn't
visible in the nfs mount.

Example:
On my server I have /mnt/A/B, where A is a mountpoint to /dev/sda1 and B
is a mountpoint to /dev/sda2
Both /mnt/A and /mnt/A/B are exported in /etc/exports, with the
nohide-option.

Doing a mount -t nfs server:/mnt/A /dir and then ls /dir/A/B shows an
empty dir, instead of the contents of B.

After a lot of difficult searching and debugging, I found that if I
mounted the nfsd virtual file system before starting rpc.mountd, it all
worked as expected.

In the nfs-server bootscript, just move the whole "# NFSD support only
in 2.6 kernel"-part to just above starting rpc.mountd and it works.

I don't know if it was just something on my system or if it is a general
problem, but if someone else has encountered this problem, he now can
find something in the archives.

Bye
Erik-Jan