gnome-2.30 *long* (Was Re: /opt prefix (Was: Re: BLFS - Target 6.5 or SVN?))

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 18:18:35 PDT 2010

On 3 July 2010 22:18, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On 07/03/2010 09:24 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> I will continue to deal with building in /opt for Xorg, Gnome, JDK, and
> also KDE and OpenOffice (if I ever get around to them).  Xorg hasn't
> been much of an issue, and we had almost all of the Gnome stuff fixed. I
> was watching when I could and am fairly sure that Wayne's updates had
> all of the issues covered for an /opt build of Gnome...assuming that you
> follow the book to the letter.

 Me, follow ?  Anyway, it's still 2.28.x.

 Xorg was _mostly_ down to me, it's definitely do-able but I don't
recall the last time I actually felt upgrading an existing system
would be a good idea - probably 3 or 4 years ago.

 I'm reasonably sure the problem was with packages "normally"
in /usr , but which I put in /opt/gnome because "I usually upgrade
these when I move to a newer gnome for fresh systems".  The
showstoppers were dbus (having to alter the "holy BLFS
bootscripts" seems like a bad move ;) and cairo (something
couldn't find the headers).

>  I am working my way through a new 32bit
> build right now and will validate just because it's time for a new
> build, though I'm probably going to use 2.30.2 (so probably little
> value).  At some point, I'm going to have to jump to a 64 bit build.
> I'm also not gonna jump on Gnome 3.x right at release, it can incubate
> for a tiny releases or two I think.  There will also be many other
> package updates along the way.  Anybody have notes to share on 2.30 so
> far?

 Not much to share yet (epiphany claims to save passwords now, like
it used to with gecko, but logging on to this other machine tonight I'm
not convinced - I had to put in my username and password for
googlemail, and saved it, but I'm fairly sure I'd done that before.  Not
a showstopper, but maybe I'm missing something else).

 Anyway, epiphany needs introspection now - I ended up rebuilding
e.g. pango, cairo, atk after I'd added introspection.  Also needed to
build gir for Soup-2.4.gir (everything else could be persuaded to
build gir files, so for gir I _only_ install Soup.).  I remember that
webkit needed to be recompiled with --enable-introspection.

 My current build is to prove that my new build order works, at the
moment it's just what I think should be adequate.

Current order / package versions - feel free to ask *how* I build any
of these if it matters.  Sorry, this is a *long* list.

(xorg, jpeg, other graphics libs)

iso-codes-3.12.1

dbus-1.2.24
 and bootscript

cairo-1.8.10

gtk-doc-1.14
 implied as required, and in recent years all the gnome devs have
installed it, so since I have the deps, why not?

glib-2.24.1

dbus-glib-0.86

libffi-3.0.9

gobject-introspection-0.6.10

eggdbus-0.6
 "dbus-gobject-bindings" in blfs index terminology

pango-1.28.1

atk-1.30.0

shared-mime-info-0.60
 (I keep intending to try without this, to find out what it provides)

cups-1.4.3
 and bootscripts - I can't print until much later, but if I build it
 here (like fedora) I can print to the queues from gtk apps.

gtk+-2.20.1

sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.23

libIDL-0.8.14

zip30

nspr-4.8.3

nss-3.12.5
 both with your patches

today's version of firefox, so icecat-3.6.4 for me, with the gnome
options turned off.

 which is where to^H^Hyesterday's build has got to.

much later will be

... (printing, gimp, ufraw, sundry libs, av stuff including libvpx here)

gstreamer-0.10.29

gst-plugins-base-0.10.29

... (more av stuff here, but no rush for the gst plugins - one in 'good'
depends on something I build as part of gnome, at least last time I
checked)

ORBit2-2.14.18

libbonobo-2.24.2
 (still used for abiword, I think)

polkit-0.96
 with the shadow patch

GConf-2.28.0

gnome-mime-data-2.18.0

gnome-vfs-2.24.1
 note that nothing I use requires gvfs

pycairo-1.8.8

pygobject-2.20.0

pygtk-2.16.0
 (these are retained for gnumeric, in case I ever want them)

libgsf-1.14.18

libgnome-2.28.0

gail-1.22.3

libgnomecanvas-2.26.0

libbonoboui-2.24.2

gnome-icon-theme-2.30.1
 now up to 15MB for some reason

libtasn1-2.3

icu4c-4_2_1

libgnome-keyring-2.30.1
 new with 2.30

gnome-keyring-2.30.0

libproxy-0.3.0

gnutls-2.8.4

libsoup-2.30.0

gir-repository-0.6.5
 for Soup gir files, only

webkit-1.2.0

libgnomeui-2.24.2

gnome-doc-utils-0.20.0

gnome-desktop-2.30.0

librsvg-2.26.0

gtksourceview-2.10.0

libnotify-0.4.5

epiphany-2.30.2

epiphany-extensions-2.30.0

midori-0.2.6
 not part of gnome, but better youtube html5 controls than epiphany
(and worse support from googlemail!)

evince-2.30.0

gcalctool-5.30.0

gucharmap-2.30.0

goffice-0.8.2

wv-1.2.4
 for abiword

abiword-2.8.4

gnumeric-1.10.2

gst-plugins-good-0.10.23

gst-plugins-bad-0.10.19

gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.15

gst-ffmpeg-0.10.10

evolution-data-server-2.30.0
 (enough to let me build totem - I have to --enable-calendar=no)

gmime-2.4.15

totem-pl-parser-2.30.0

libunique-1.1.6

totem-2.30.2

libcanberra-0.24

gnome-media-2.30.0
 for the volume control

 As before , I omit more of gnome than I build - it's only a few of the
applications that I really want.

> BTW, Ken, thanks for the IceWeasel mention the other day, I actually
> hadn't heard of it before now.  Gonna give IceWeasel and IceDove a shot
> on this build.  Do symlinked .pc files do the trick for packages looking
> for FireFox?  I'd imagine that they would, but having not tried them yet...
>
> - -- DJ Lucas

 Umm, those are the debian versions ;)  As above, icecat for the gnuzilla
browser, but I'm not sure what the repackaged thunderdbird is called.

 I thought everything looked for xulrunner these days ?  And if you are
building that, I guess the repackaged versions work, but I don't know.
I've stopped building xulrunner because nothing of mine needed it
once epiphany went to webkit (that's also why I now use separate
nspr, nss).  Similarly, I stopped trying to patch png for the mozilla
fork because the distros don't - mozilla is usually good on fixing
vulnerabilities here (just as well, since they ship so much that cannot
be overridden by newer system versions).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"