BLFS - Target 6.5 or SVN?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 07:24:41 PDT 2010

On 26 June 2010 23:03, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com> wrote:

>  I've got a 6.6 system that I was intending to keep as a sort of "long term
> support" version (because it uses a long-term stable kernel), but I'm going
> to have to rebuild that because I can't seem to get html5 working on
> youtube with midori on gnome-2.28 [ and I just drop everything into /usr on
> my own builds - that might be about to change :) ]

Verging OT for this thread, but after attempting to build xorg in
/opt/xorg (needs LIBRARY_PATH - I found an old thread starting at
http://www.mail-archive.com/blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/msg04913.html
where Dan's comments were particularly useful, as usual.

 With gnome, the GNOME_LIBRARY_PATH mentioned in the book
works for "real gnome packages".  Unfortunately, I had decided
that things like gLib and dbus should also go into /opt/gnome
because they usually benefit from being upgraded for a new
gnome version.  Similarly, cairo.  Abandoned before I'd even built
gtk+ : first, I noted that dbus programs need LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
be able to find the libs (so, the bootscript would need to be
modified), then the killer was that gobject-introspection couldn't
find the cairo headers below /opt/gnome.  Yes, it can be worked
around, but it's not worth the effort.

 In future, I will avoid /opt as a matter of sanity, and leave it for
those people who persist in installing binary software. I've used
parts of gnome2 across at least 10 versions, and this is the first
time that I've seen enough benefit from a newer version to want
to upgrade an older system, so for me /usr  it is.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"