A git test drive

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 05:47:31 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/10 7:05 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> It mentions something about pre-generated swig wrappers in the subversion
>> tarball at http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracSubversion, though they still
>> recommend that you build SWIG according the instructions given in the
>> subversion tarball. They even expand on what versions of SWIG will work
>> and ones that will not. I'm not doing any more research. I'm simply going
>> with what is documented. Not worth the trouble to me to test a new method,
>> when what we are talking about is installing a simple package that many
>> other packages use as well.
>>
>> Thanks for the tips, Jeremy. And thanks for listening in.
>
> Now you've got me curious, because the documentation does indeed say to
> install SWIG first. Next time I run through this, I'll collect the test
> suite results.
>
> It may be that in the end I'll add SWIG as a dependency just for the
> sake of completeness.

Sounds like the probably ship bindings code that was generated by swig
in the tarball. This is the same way that people usually ship parser
code generated by bison/lex instead of requiring all users to have
those development tools. SWIG isn't needed at runtime, just to
generate code that binds one programming language to another.

--
Dan