ntp init script

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Wed Aug 25 11:50:41 PDT 2010

On 8/24/10 9:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> If the system time is too far off the network time, then ntpd just
> exits.  This can happen easily if the hwclock is set to utc and
> /etc/sysconfig/clock is not (or vice versa).

Not if it is started with -gx. I've just tested and confirmed. I set my
date to February 1, 2010, launched ntpd -gx and after a few minutes, the
date had been corrected to today's date.

The man page this is only valid once, however. So if I set my date
manually again after that beyond the allowed threshold, ntpd will then
exit. But in that case, it is easy to restart the service.

Jeremy