ntp init script

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 17:55:09 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/10 6:10 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> What if the ntp server provided is down like in the 2nd entry above?
>
> Or (for who knows what reason) outgoing ICMP packets are blocked where
> you have no control?
>
>> This problem is not easily solved.
>
> Understood and agreed. Again, I think that initial set of the date
> shouldn't be part of the bootscript.

It's definitely not necessary and slows down the boot even when the
network is immediately available. ntpd will slew the time back into
sync without forcing an inital sync and will respond to the network
becoming available if it's not initially there.

--
Dan