smartmontools

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Sun Apr 11 01:59:27 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:23:03AM +0200, Lars Bamberger wrote:
> after a hard-drive crash I was wondering if there would be any support
> to add smartmontools as a new package to BLFS.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki

What purpose would this serve? As far as I can tell it's a standard CMMI
package and even the website instructions say that it's CMMI. Looking at
the options for configure there are barely any, and the package itself
is not a dependency of anything we currently have. Adding this to the
book would be pretty redundant as there is no need to explain anything.
Any package we add just adds to the list of things we have to update in
the future. The BLFS book isn't there to list every possible package
you could possibly want.