is quartz not mentioned in the GTK section?

Trent Shea trentshea at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 07:44:42 PDT 2010

On April 7, 2010 12:25:03 am jon q public wrote:
> BLFS should roll back Pango to 1.21.1 it built without complaint
> and GTK-2.18.7 (as seen in last SVN BLFS I've downloaded) is happy with
> it.
>
> > Pango needs to have a cairo backend to support GTK
> > The only backend allowed is based on /Quatrz/
> > Therefore /Quartz/ is a GTK prerequisite.
> > I had to search config logs to find this out.
> > No anount of /googling/ (the most painful debugging method devised) will
> > help.

Everything I have built without complaint (I'll attach a snippet from the
config logs of each, too) I have:
pango-1.26.2
cairo-1.8.10
gtk+2.18.9 (with Depends: atk, cairo, expat, fontconfig, freetype, gcc, glib,
glibc, jpeg, libpng, libx11, libxau, libxcb, libxcomposite, libxcursor,
libxdamage, libxdmcp, libxext, libxfixes, libxinerama, libxrandr, libxrender,
pango, pcre, pixman, tiff, zlib)

Are you unable to build without quartz? Packages are usually only considered
required when another package won't build without them, or considerable
functionality is lost. Can you provide the version numbers you are building as
well, maybe newer development versions have added quartz as a requirement?

## start config snippets
Pango:
configuration:
        backends: Cairo Xft FreeType X

Cairo:
cairo (version 1.8.10 [release]) will be compiled with:

The following surface backends:
  Image:         yes (always builtin)
  Xlib:          yes
  Xlib Xrender:  yes
  Quartz:        no (requires CoreGraphics framework)
  Quartz-image:  no (disabled, use --enable-quartz-image to enable)
  XCB:           no (disabled, use --enable-xcb to enable)
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  OS2:           no (disabled, use --enable-os2 to enable)
  PostScript:    yes
  PDF:           yes
  SVG:           yes
  glitz:         no (disabled, use --enable-glitz to enable)
  BeOS:          no (disabled, use --enable-beos to enable)
  DirectFB:      no (disabled, use --enable-directfb to enable)

The following font backends:
  User:          yes (always builtin)
  FreeType:      yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  Quartz:        no (requires CoreGraphics framework)

gtk+
configuration:
        target: x11
## End config snippets