XZ-Utils 4.999.9beta

dean talbot lists at dtxs.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 16:20:02 PDT 2009

William Immendorf <will.immendorf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM, dean talbot <lists at dtxs.co.uk> wrote:
> > What could be a show-stopper, though, is the fact that the
> > XZ-definitions were only added to shared-mime-info's CVS-repo in
> > April and haven't been in an official release yet - so unless you
> > want to patch that package or build it from CVS, things like GUI
> > file-managers won't know what the hell they're looking at, let
> > alone how to deal with them...
> >
> > ...Which they're unlikely to be able to do anyway, because the GUI
> > archivers i've looked at don't use shared-mime-info, they instead
> > need to be patched to support this 'fledgling' file-type directly.

> 'Fledgling'? Are you kidding me?!?!! The XZ file format is stable now:
>
> http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-file-format.txt
>
> William

I didn't say otherwise - in fact, i endorsed that fact by acknowledging
it's inclusion in 'shared-mime-info'...

...I was simply pointing out that as of this moment, system-wide
support for the format hasn't filtered down from the development
sources to the release stages that most people use, and as such, i
think it's still a little too early to make widespread use of.

Dean