XZ-Utils 4.999.9beta

William Immendorf will.immendorf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 11:56:31 PDT 2009

I honstly disgress. This should be in BLFS soon. Just read my
comments, and you will start supporting my desition to include XZ into
the book:

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Tobias Gasser <lfs at ebp-gasser.ch> wrote:
> - CMMI: even a blfs-beginner should be able to install is
I have to admit, agreed, but remember, it should be in /bin, and
liblzma in /lib, like Bzip2 and Gzip. That's simple, if you look at
CLFS. But it still should be in the book.
> - beta: no comment!
On the contrary, I say that it might tenicaly be a beta, but it's VERY
close to the release.
It even has it's own file format specification:

http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-file-format.txt

Definite +2 for XZ in the book.
> - no dependencies: i couldn't find any package requireing it
Tar requires it for the -J and the --xz options, at the very least.
And lzma-utils can't open XZ files. This absloutly a +2 for XZ in BLFS
or LFS.
> - time: to many packages are waiting to be updated, thus
>  no need to add more packages yet.
Then make me a writer if you want this in the book!!!!!!!! *sigh*.
> + kernel support: it's a "nice to have", but not required
I agree with this.

> having considered the above arguments i changed my mind...
Then change it back. Now you know why XZ should be in the book.
> even when the package leaves beta, i don't see any need for it in the
> book. whoever wants to compress the kernel with xz should be able to do it.
Read my comments, and my comments with overide yours.

The tally:

+5 for XZ,
and two things for XZ not in the book.

So, the moral of the story: XZ should be the book soon.

The XZ defender (AKA: William)