KDE4 (was: Re: Xorg-server-1.6)

Trent Shea trent.shea at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:18:34 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 23:26:59 DJ Lucas wrote:
> Trent, Ken, Thomas, (others?):   I would be quite interested in any
> notes, patches, or scripts that you have laying around for KDE4.  I
> won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks yet.

I've been building vanilla kde from:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.3/

with: cmake -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=YES -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -
DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde-svn

I've attached my entire install_log; dependencies are not listed, but
everything is listed in the order it was built, so it should be a decent
reference. I've also included the *.cmake files.

Something to note is my deviation with Phonon. If you build against QT's
Phonon you will not have anything listed in the 'Backend' tab of KDE's
'Multimedia - KDE Control Module' - you will still be able reach the
backend settings through qtconfig, though.

If you build/use kdm you may notice that it crashes on logout. I haven't
bothered to investigate this, but I have noticed this same behaviour on
debian testing, too.

I'm going to rebuild my desktop soon, I'm just waiting for some Xorg
packages to be released, but the plan is to build against the 4.6
release of qt and the latest cmake/boost. Hopefully some useful notes
come out of this.

Regards,
Trent.