KDE4 (was: Re: Xorg-server-1.6)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 30 04:23:10 PDT 2009

2009/9/30 DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org>:

> Trent, Ken, Thomas, (others?):   I would be quite interested in any
> notes, patches, or scripts that you have laying around for KDE4.

 I've given up on kde4, my last builds were for 4.2 and I assume
a lot has changed since then.

 FWIW, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was the
QT-4.5.2 upgrade - appeared to need *two* different responses to
accept the gpl / licensing questions, my script just hung for ever.

 I made two or three attempts to fix that, then decided enough was
enough (kde4 had already given me so much pain).  I miss having
a third browser for the times I'm upgrading gecko/epiphany (yay!
I hear epiphany uses webkit in 2.28), and konqueror in 4.2 was
good albeit still slow to start rendering, but I haven't missed any of
the rest of kde and I'm delighted to be free of cmake.

 If they are useful, my scripts are at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/desktop-2009-06/LFS-6.4-mid-2009/
(blfs2-desktop1 includes QT-4.4, blfs2-desktop5 for the kde stuff),
with a patch at ../ to let me build kdegraphics without gwenview
(missing dependency).

 Comments on the packages are in the ../desktop-details file, but
that time I didn't revisit the dependencies.

 As always with my scripts, they are probably almost totally unlike
anything you use, and there are still bugs in them.  They aren't
offered as an example to impress, and they're very verbose,
but they work for me.

 Bear in mind that I'm at heart still a minimalist, and I don't believe
in letting my machine second-guess what I want to do, or in
cluttering my desktop with icons, or using high-wattage CPUs
(or large disks) just because they are available.  People from a
different background are welcome to enjoy the bells and whistles.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"