XZ-Utils 4.999.9beta

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Tue Sep 29 15:32:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 04:19:00PM -0500, William Immendorf wrote:
> High compression, to me, is awesome.

Perhaps this might be of interest, it's a compression test that I ran on
LZMA a while ago.
http://quantum.linuxfromscratch.org/~gdalziel/misc/compression.txt

As you can see the LZMA compression time is quite abysmal, and I
certainly wouldn't want to use it as my default compression format. Sure
as speeds increase the times becomes less noticeable, but I think
expecting everyone to use a single format is completely one dimensional.
Each format has its particular uses, and LZMA or LZMA based algorithms I
would only regard as useful in regards to decompression, and in this
test 100MB has been saved for only 1 extra minute decompression.
However, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for compressing my system
backups.