XZ-Utils 4.999.9beta

William Immendorf will.immendorf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:26:27 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Matthew Burgess
<matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> But those aren't any reasons to *use* it.  What *requires* the use of the .xz file
> format that isn't also available in .gz or .bz2 files?  Unless there is something,
> this package is simply a *nice to have*, not a necessity, and therefore can be
> delayed until an editor really decides it's an itch that needs scratching.  Of course,
> if someone were to provide a patch to the book that added the XZ-Utils package to the
> book then I'm sure someone is more likely to review and apply it.
Well, if I send anything that needs to be compressed, it will be in
XZ. You should know that, because it's my favourite compression format
to use for UNIX. Also, LZMA-utils can't open up XZ filles, but XZ can
open up LZMA files, so that's a use. And if you want to get stuff for
me, you need XZ, nuff said.

Oh, and the patch thing, I arleady made one. Look at the XZ ticket to see.

XZ loving William.

PS: It's time to move foward.