XZ-Utils 4.999.9beta

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:55:52 PDT 2009

William Immendorf wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>  I'm listening, and watching, but for the moment I don't
>> see any reason to put it in the book as a beta - for the
>> moment we can still get packages as .tar.gz.
> You don't see any reason? You need to look a lot closer:
>
>  * Fedora, Arch, CLFS, and Slackware use it arleady, so +4 points to XZ.
>  * This release is very close to a stable release,  another +1 point to XZ.
>  * The file format for it is arleady stable, +1 to XZ.
>  * And tar uses too, +1 to XZ.

You argue passionately, but you do not persuade.  What packages in LFS or BLFS
are not available as a .gz or a .bz2 package?

The purpose of LFS and BLFS is primarily educational.  Adding a CMMI package is
not particularly educational when there are many such packages already in the books.

You are, of course, completely free to add any package you want to your own system.