xcb-proto: Where does it belong?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 09:52:50 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 8:56 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> This is a weird one, as no other packages are separated into three
> packages, besides those in Xorg.  libxcb and xcb-util  belong in general
> libraries and general utils respectively, but where do the protocol
> headers belong?  I'm going to move them into general libraries for now
> since they are tightly related...somebody speak up if you have an
> objection to this.

Why do they have to be anywhere besides the X chapter? They're
certainly not relevant outside of X.

The reason that everything is all split up for Xorg is the
client-server nature of X. The headers are in separate packages
because they define the protocol between the client and server (and
the datatypes used). They are equally relevant to the server or
libraries. Without a defined protocol on both sides, X doesn't work.

--
Dan