GNOME 2.26.3

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 22 21:06:55 PDT 2009

On 09/17/2009 08:51 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
> <stuff delete/>
>
>> Unfortunately, it seems that there are a few bad assumptions in the
>> Gnome autoscripts that didn't used to be there, and these should all be
>> fixed upstream, preferably via pkg-config.  I take it that you are not
>> seeing the (suspected) GIO issue mentioned above?
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> Sorry, I missed that bit. Yes I have/had the same problem.
> Installing gvfs fixes that problem. I still need to read up on what gvfs
> is and how it differs from gnome-vfs. i.e. is it a replacement or a
> split or a complementary addition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> The GDM icon problem has been fixed with the additional step:
> ln -s $(pkg-config --variable=prefix \
>      ORBit-2.0)/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
> $(pkg-config \
>      --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0)/lib/gdm
>
> GDM assumes that it and gnome-settings-daemon share the same libexecdir.
> How do we raise this problem with the GDM developers?

I do not like the symlink.  Same issue I have with the gnome-keyboard
applet (which I still haven't found the proper fix for yet).  GDM needs
a little bit of work, and looking at Bugzilla for it, there are lots of
bugs in unconfirmed status.  Probably fat chance at a commit any time
soon, but submit it anyway.  If you don't get to it, I'll take a shot at
a complete 'buildfix' patch for us tomorrow evening...and separate it
out for GDM's BZ.

-- DJ Lucas