GNOME 2.26.3

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:30:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk
<wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
> <stuff delete/>
>> Unfortunately, it seems that there are a few bad assumptions in the
>> Gnome autoscripts that didn't used to be there, and these should all be
>> fixed upstream, preferably via pkg-config.  I take it that you are not
>> seeing the (suspected) GIO issue mentioned above?
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> Sorry, I missed that bit. Yes I have/had the same problem.
> Installing gvfs fixes that problem. I still need to read up on what gvfs
> is and how it differs from gnome-vfs. i.e. is it a replacement or a
> split or a complementary addition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

gvfs is a complete replacement.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeVfsMustDie

> The GDM icon problem has been fixed with the additional step:
> ln -s $(pkg-config --variable=prefix \
>    ORBit-2.0)/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
> $(pkg-config \
>    --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0)/lib/gdm
>
> GDM assumes that it and gnome-settings-daemon share the same libexecdir.
> How do we raise this problem with the GDM developers?

It's just poor build configuration because the maintainer doesn't care
about supporting non-system-install builds. The way to raise the
problem is to open a bug and/or write a patch. Writing a patch would
significantly increase the odds that it gets fixed. Probably you'd
just want a --with-gnome-libexecdir or something.

--
Dan