kde-3.5 branch

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 17 20:57:54 PDT 2009

To my understanding, the kde-3.5 branch is not longer developed, and there
will be no new releases for it. The kde-3.5 svn branch has some bug fixes
since the 3.5.10 release. They're generally not serious bug fixes, but they
help with new glibc compatibility, new gcc compatibility, and stuff like
that.

I started making patches, but they became large, and I don't want to maintain
them.

Using distro patches for branch updates, like from pld-linux, can work, but
the following method works too, and doesn't depend on third-party patches.

So here it is...

Install automake-1.10 and autoconf-2.61 in /usr/local/kde-3.5 (or whereever
you like), and then prefix that bin/ directory to $PATH. These are the
autotool versions used by kde-3.5.

Then:
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/arts/1.5/arts
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/

Make tarballs of these directories, with 'tar cf', so you have a clean archive
for future svn updates.

Run:
make -f admin/Makefile.common cvs
in each directory before running ./configure. This acts like 'autoreconf'.

Once in a blue moon unpack your kde tarballs, and run 'svn up' to check for
new fixes. Reinstall as needed.

If only everything was this easy :-\

robert