GNOME 2.26.3

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 16 15:49:00 PDT 2009

On 09/16/2009 09:22 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> On 09/11/2009 02:16 AM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>
>>> I also have an issue with the desktop icons; Computer and Trash do not
>>> work.  'Could not display "computer:///".  The file is of an unknown
>>> type'.  In the past, this has been due to glib modules dir, but that is
>>> not the case as gnome-vfs has been fixed to install in /usr (based on
>>> the gio-2.0.pc file (glib)) for some time.  GIO_EXTRA_MODULES has no
>>> effect.  I'm honestly not sure what is up with that.
>>>

>> Same for the network icon (after configuring it to show in gconf).  I
>> understand FUSE is now required for that functionality.  Got it built
>> into the kernel.
>>
>> root [ /home/dj ]# cat /boot/config-2.6.30.2 | grep FUSE
>> CONFIG_FUSE_FS=y
>> root [ /home/dj ]# exit
>>
>> Wondering if that also has to do with lack of consolekit.....anyway,
>> it's on the way in for the shutdown issue.

Nope..that wasn't it.
> DJ,
> Are you going to start on consolekit? Because I was thinking of doing it.

No, no, please have at.  DeviceKit will also have to go in as well for
gnome-power-management. I'm just trying to get a working desktop out of
it and to get a partial understanding of how gnome internals all work
together.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

> With the icon problem and the gdm greeter, I did a quick experiment by
> installing gnome with just --prefix=/usr and no other configure
> (directory)options, and lo and behold all the icons were there on the
> gdm greeter including a desktop background! I'm guessing the problem is
> that some gnome packages assume that other gnome packages use the same
> libexec directory.
> A case in point is that gdm expects ck-get* (consolekit binary) to be in
> /usr/lib/gdm.

Unfortunately, it seems that there are a few bad assumptions in the
Gnome autoscripts that didn't used to be there, and these should all be
fixed upstream, preferably via pkg-config.  I take it that you are not
seeing the (suspected) GIO issue mentioned above?

-- DJ Lucas