cdrtools-2.01

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Sun Sep 13 16:31:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:45:15PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  People still use the original cdrtools ?

I've been using it for years, so it simply tends to be one of the first
things that I grab.

>  The license change itself is not a problem for us, because we
> don't distribute binaries, but I think most modern distros only
> provide something called 'cdrecord' as a compatability symlink,
> and the underlying program is not cdrtools.

I can imagine it being a problem if I wanted to use some of the source
code in a GPL project, but if that happened I would simply have to
look elsewhere or write the desired code from scratch. I'm afraid I'm
not quite familiar enough with the CDDL to be familiar with these
binary restrictions that you mentioned - although from what I've read
it's very similiar to the Mozilla Public License. However, it would
certainly be easier for me to pour my efforts into a project that
everyone can benefit from, not just those that compile from source.

> Or do you still get warning messages when you point it to what
> is supposedly a disk instead of the scsi triplet returned by scanbus
> (assuming, that is, that you don't have a real SCSI burner) ?.

I simply use the device name such as /dev/hda and that works fine, it
might complain about it but it certainly doesn't stop me doing it. I
can't remember the last time I had to use the SCSI triplet, but that
could simply be because I have an IDE device.