More distro reps, for those struggling to find patches.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 13 15:35:52 PDT 2009

 I'm well-know for encouraging people to look at what distros are doing (if you
go beyond BLFS, or use newer version or other architectures).  Recently I've
been struggling with multimedia, where my main choices (fedora, debian) are
often lacking because of patent or licence issues.

 In the past, google has found references to PLD (Polish Linux Distribution)
patches on some of my searches, but I never managed to find a working link.
Now I have one:
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/

 Today, I've been heading further up the creek trying to understand how to
reconfigure after one of the patches, and I stumbled on PackMan - they seem
to provide packages targeted at OpenSuse and are at
http://packman.links2linux.org/packages
 - not quite as easy, because they only provide source rpms so you'll need
an rpm2cpio script and cpio (like mandriva, OpenSuse when available,
and even fedora-development) ,but then most people near the bleeding
edge probably already have those tools.

 Hope this helps.

ĸen
--