GNOME 2.26.3

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:30:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On 09/08/2009 04:45 PM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>> Anyway, I did several experiments, and I don't see that the XDG* exports
>> in the gdm boot script actually do anything. I also tried putting the
>> variables into the various user's .bash_profile's including the gdm user
>> to no avail. The only way I could solve my problem (icons and menus not
>> displaying correctly was to put in a new script (gnome.sh) under
>> profile.d. So that is what I'm proposing to go into the book, the only
>> question is what section should it go under. If anyone has any
>> objections on this, let me know.
>>
>> I also have a problem with several but no all icons not being displayed
>> on the gdm logon prompt which I have not solved yet.
> That is the issue I have.

I don't think that when the greeter is run as the gdm user that any of
the profile scripts are sourced (it's not running in a shell). So, I
don't think any of the environment variables are getting set. You can
look in /proc/$pid_of_greeter/environ to see what's set.

Looking at the source, it seems that the gdm script sources
/etc/profile, so the environment for gdm-binary running as root has
all the normal shell variables. So, when gdm-binary forks the greeter,
it should have the same environment. Does the environment for
gdm-binary contain the XDG* variables?

>> With the shutdown and reboot, that also doesn't work for me, but I
>> haven't had a chance to look at this. I've seen this before but cannot
>> remember was that cause was (either configuration or a package missing).
>> I'll look at this tonight.
>> Wayne.
>>
> That one is going to be fun.  All of that functionality was moved to
> ConsoleKit IIUC.

Yep. ConsoleKit + DBus is basically required for gnome. gdm and
gnome-session both use the ConsoleKit dbus methods to shutdown.

--
Dan