GNOME 2.26.3

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 11 00:16:34 PDT 2009

On 09/08/2009 04:45 PM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> Anyway, I did several experiments, and I don't see that the XDG* exports
> in the gdm boot script actually do anything. I also tried putting the
> variables into the various user's .bash_profile's including the gdm user
> to no avail. The only way I could solve my problem (icons and menus not
> displaying correctly was to put in a new script (gnome.sh) under
> profile.d. So that is what I'm proposing to go into the book, the only
> question is what section should it go under. If anyone has any
> objections on this, let me know.
>
> I also have a problem with several but no all icons not being displayed
> on the gdm logon prompt which I have not solved yet.
That is the issue I have.

> With the shutdown and reboot, that also doesn't work for me, but I
> haven't had a chance to look at this. I've seen this before but cannot
> remember was that cause was (either configuration or a package missing).
> I'll look at this tonight.
> Wayne.

That one is going to be fun.  All of that functionality was moved to
ConsoleKit IIUC.

I also have an issue with the desktop icons; Computer and Trash do not
work.  'Could not display "computer:///".  The file is of an unknown
type'.  In the past, this has been due to glib modules dir, but that is
not the case as gnome-vfs has been fixed to install in /usr (based on
the gio-2.0.pc file (glib)) for some time.  GIO_EXTRA_MODULES has no
effect.  I'm honestly not sure what is up with that.  I'm already kind
of pointing a finger at Nautilus, but have absolutely no data to support
a 'gut feeling'.  I think that I had seen something in passing, but it
seemed unrelated at the time, and therefor forgotten, but it might be
nothing.

Anyway, sorry for the quick message.  Life has, once again , taken a
sudden turn for me (not out of the ordinary by my standard ;-) ).  It's
really only a minor issue, but it's time consuming.  I'll be forced to
take a few more days off still.  I'll be checking my mail, but that's
about it.  Things should *hopefully* be back to normal by Monday evening
(CDT), and I'll try to provide some *useful* information at that time.

-- DJ Lucas