GNOME 2.26.3

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 7 14:28:03 PDT 2009

On 09/07/2009 08:32 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> On 09/02/2009 09:09 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

>>> DJ, or anyone else,
>>> Is the gnome icon on the (top left by default) start bar being displayed
>>> correctly? Mine is red crossed.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Wayne.
>>>

>> Okay..have my box in front of me.  Yes, the foot is there.  It
>> disappears (as does desktop and menu icons) when using TightVNC's
>> version of Xvnc.  I understand that this is a longstanding bug in
>> gnome-settings-daemon (something to the effect of it pukes if started on
>> another local display after having started elsewhere under a
>> profile...didn't look into it too much, but included this tidbit just in
>> case it might be related).  I haven't managed to get RealVNC (too much
>> work to recreate an xc tree) or x11vnc (too much overhead) to build
>> yet.  Anyway, yes, everything works correctly while in front of the machine.
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> I finally worked out my problem after hours of pull my hair out.
> I forgot to set the XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variables.
> Now I need to figure out how to shove them into gdm. Probably in the
> /etc/profile.d directory?

After completing all of gnome except bug-buddy and accesability, I'm
having difficulties with gdm that I haven't figured out.  'gdm --debug'
was useless to me.  It starts and then bails 5 times.  As for bug-buddy,
I just didn't want to screw with elfutils till I'm ready to start over
again.  I'm going to go back and do it, but I'm hoping we can get away
with something like 'make -C lib install && make -C include install' for
elfutils (or something like that, not looking at the source tree right
now).  Finally, PYTHONPATH should not need to be the full path, should
only be as deep as site-packages.  I forgot what application had the
full path, but it is not needed.

-- DJ Lucas