seamonkey 2 and Xulrunner

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:14:39 PDT 2009

2009/10/30 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:
> I've been experimenting with seamonky2 and seem ot have a problem with  Xulrunner.
>

> When I installed Xulrunner-1.9.1.2, I went by the current instructions but I
> note that some libraries not accessible:
>
> bdubbs at core2:/tmp/seamonkey/seamonkey-build/suite/app$ ls
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.2/*so
>
> libfreebl3.so
> libplc4.so*
> libmozjs.so
> libplds4.so
> libnspr4.so*
> libsmime3.so*
> libnss3.so*
> libsoftokn3.so*
> libnssckbi.so
> libssl3.so*
> libnssdbm3.so
> libxpcom.so
> libnssutil3.so*
> libxul.so
>
> The ones marked with an asterisk are linked back to /usr/lib, but the others are
> not.  Therefore I don't think firefox/thunderbird/seamonky are finding
> libmozjs.so, libxul.so, libxpcom.so.  libxpcom_core.so is found in
> /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.0.
>
> The curious thing is that seamonkey seems to run just fine without finding these
> libraries.  Should we making links to the other libraries?
>
> Comments?
>
>   -- Bruce
> --

Bruce,

 my understanding is that anything from mozilla which uses xulrunner
gets to the libraries through xulrunner.   I confess that the packaging
of ff 3.5 is a mess (e.g. from my log for 3.5.4
Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:
bin/libmozjs.so (packages-static, 33).

 I think the operative word there is unnecessary, it doesn't get
installed.

 The libraries symlinked from /usr/lib (which should include libplds4)
are those for nss and nspr.  Everything else is part of xulrunner
if that was built.

 Certainly, running ldd on firefox doesn't show any missing libs.

 You would not need to use symlinks for the nss and nspr libs if
separate nss and nspr had been involved.  The problem with that
approach is that from time to time firefox upgrades will require
a newer nss or nspr (and ship with it).  The problem also used to
be that nss and nspr were an aggravation to build, but DJ has
sorted that part.

 BTW, xulrunner-1.9.1.4 (firefox-3.5.4) is out.  For the vulnerabilities
it fixes, see
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox35.html

(There isn't a separate list for xulrunner) - if you used 1.9.1.2 I think
you've used an older, more buggy, version than what is shipped in
the current seamonkey.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"