Linux Standards Base

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:43:36 PDT 2009

I've been looking at LSB and in running a couple of basic checks find that we
have some missing libraries and programs in LFS/BLFS to get to compliance.  The
discussion below is only a start.  There may be more needed after I get their
more comprehensive test suite running.

Although I've installed several programs on top of my base LFS test system, the
program check now gives me:

Couldn't find at
Couldn't find batch
Couldn't find cpio
Couldn't find crontab
Couldn't find install_initd
Couldn't find java
Couldn't find lp
Couldn't find lpr
Couldn't find mailx
Couldn't find pax
Couldn't find remove_initd
Couldn't find sendmail
Couldn't find time
Couldn't find xdg-desktop-icon
Couldn't find xdg-desktop-menu
Couldn't find xdg-email
Couldn't find xdg-icon-resource
Couldn't find xdg-mime
Couldn't find xdg-open
Couldn't find xdg-screensaver

Of course, several of these are in BLFS, but many are not: xdg-utils, pax, cpio,
at, batch, and gnu time jump out as being needed.

Some (install_initd and remove_initd) are not familiar to me at all.

We have fcron, but I'm not sure if we need to create a link from fcrontab to
crontab or if Vixie cron is required.

Should we be installing some of these (e.g. cpio, pax, Gnu time) in LFS?

---------
The library requirements are a bit better.  Right now I'm only missing:

Unable to find library libasound.so.2
Unable to find library libcups.so.2
Unable to find library libcupsimage.so.2
Unable to find library libjpeg.so.62
Unable to find library libncurses.so.5
Unable to find library libpam.so.0
Unable to find library libqt-mt.so.3

Of course most of these are in BLFS, but I'm concerned about the libncurses
requirement.  In LFS we install libncursesw.  Ubuntu has both.  Should we
install both in LFS also?

We install jpeg7 in BLFS.  We used to install jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz which gives
libjpeg.so.62.  I'll investigate to see if we need both versions.

What I want to do is to introduce LSB in the Preface of LFS and then continue
with more discussion in BLFS "After LFS Configuration Issues".  In the
appropriate packages, add a comment that "This package is needed for LSB
compliance."  I some cases there are definite alternatives.  For instance the
sendmail requirement can be met with any of the MTA packages in BLFS.