Alternate Installation Prefixes [Was: Re: Gnome-2.28.0 build notes -- Compatability Symlinks]

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 24 21:28:52 PDT 2009

On 10/24/2009 10:31 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The fundamental issues are that binaries need to be found on the PATH and
> libraries need to be found via ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  But these are
> system issues.  The only real issue is where to find auxiliary files like icons
> or other system files.  User files are ine $HOME/userid/.whatever.

You forgot to mention private executables (libexec) that aren't private,
nor are they intended to be.  :-)  Unfortunately, the established
standards aren't always used WRT Gnome.
> How hard is it for a developer to look for system configuration files in
> --sysconfdir?  The answer is "not hard".  In fact, not using it is inconvenient
> for some users.  One of the main philosophies of Unix is that the user knows
> better than the developer.  Forcing a special location is either arrogance or
> ignorance by the developer.

My working, but incomplete patch against GDM is a good example of what
not to do WRT fixing upstream issues.  Focused on making it work, I
hadn't even considered adding configure switches....again, not a big deal.

> Finding support files should be done by looking in:
>
> 1.  A location specified by an environment variable
> 2.  A location coded via a configure setting
> 3.  A predefined, hard coded, location.

4. Don't use support files that are not intended to used...write your
own implementation if needs be.  :-)
> IN THAT ORDER.
>
>     -- Bruce

-- DJ Lucas