Gnome-2.28.0 build notes

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 18 17:42:16 PDT 2009

This is mostly for Wayne, but anyone else working on Gnome-2.28.0, I'm
building in the /opt/gnome-2.28.0 prefix as opposed to /usr and thought
these build notes might be useful.

1.   Not sure if it is explicitly necessary, but I updated to
gnome-vfs-2.24.2 (2.24.1 is release for Gnome-2.28.0) for the new
mime.cache format (mentioned in change log).

2. gnome-panel, gnome-settings-daemon, and nautilus - building in any
prefix other than /usr breaks the icon installation...before running
configure do the following:

For gnome-panel:
     for dir in icons/*/
     do
         sed -e 's at iconsdir = \$(datadir)@iconsdir = /usr/share@' \
             -i ${dir}Makefile.in
     done

For gnome-settings-daemon:
     sed -e 's at icondir = \$(datadir)@icondir = /usr/share@' \
         -i plugins/xrandr/Makefile.in

For nautilus:
     sed -e 's@\$(datadir)/icons/@/usr/share/icons/@g' \
         -i data/icons/Makefile.in

3.  libxklavier-4.0 still needs a fix for finding the correct xkb
datadir  should use '--with-xkb-base=$XORG_PREFIX/share/X11/xkb|'| by
default.  I uploaded a patch in the repo, but it is not suitable for
upstream as it will break older versions of X (prior to Xorg IIRC...or
however long the current xkb has been in place as I don't remember that
far back) so it was not sent upstream.  At any rate, the switch should
be added by default as it will not hurt the /usr installations.

4. gir-repository will need to have LFLAGS defined if gconf is not
installed into /usr
'make LFAGS="$GNOME_PREFIX/lib" {,install}' (by default)
Also, it is throwing error on VTE (with new version) and not exiting on
error..but I didn't look into it.

5. libunique tried to check it's own pc file before it was installed
during the installation which results in a bunch of missing headers and
resulting syntax error messages, but the installation exits with a zero
status...I lazily installed it twice and all seems happy.

   LINK  libunique-1.0.la
Package unique-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `unique-1.0.pc'
No package 'unique-1.0' found
Package unique-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `unique-1.0.pc'
No package 'unique-1.0' found
In file included from <stdin>:4:
/sources/libunique-1.1.2/unique/uniqueapp.h:25:25: error: glib-object.h:
No such file or directory
In file included from /sources/libunique-1.1.2/unique/uniqueapp.h:26,
                  from <stdin>:4:

6.  Need to add servicedir entries into /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf
and session-local.conf for $GNOME_PREFIX/share/{,system-}services.

That is all the further I am ATM (through zenity, working on libcanberra
deps), but I'm quitting for the night.

-- DJ Lucas