Xorg-7.5 very soon (Was: Re: KDE4)

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 3 01:28:22 PDT 2009

On 09/30/2009 07:18 PM, Trent Shea wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2009 23:26:59 DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Trent, Ken, Thomas, (others?):   I would be quite interested in any
>> notes, patches, or scripts that you have laying around for KDE4.  I
>> won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks yet.
>>

> I've been building vanilla kde from:
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.3/
>
> with: cmake -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=YES -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -
> DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde-svn
>
> I've attached my entire install_log; dependencies are not listed, but
> everything is listed in the order it was built, so it should be a decent
> reference. I've also included the *.cmake files.
>
> Something to note is my deviation with Phonon. If you build against QT's
> Phonon you will not have anything listed in the 'Backend' tab of KDE's
> 'Multimedia - KDE Control Module' - you will still be able reach the
> backend settings through qtconfig, though.
>
> If you build/use kdm you may notice that it crashes on logout. I haven't
> bothered to investigate this, but I have noticed this same behaviour on
> debian testing, too.
>
> I'm going to rebuild my desktop soon, I'm just waiting for some Xorg
> packages to be released, but the plan is to build against the 4.6
> release of qt and the latest cmake/boost. Hopefully some useful notes
> come out of this.

Looks like Xorg-7.5 is *very* soon.  Server-1.7.0 is released.  Mesa-7.6
is released, giving initial support for r600 cards, but we'll really
want 7.6.1 as soon as it's released.  As far as the official Xorg
release into the book, we're waiting for for following packages to do
final releases of these versions:

libXtst-1.1
libXxf86vm-1.1
libdmx-1.1
xinput-1.5
xf86-input-evdev-2.3
xf86-input-joystick-1.5
xf86-input-keyboard-1.4
xf86-input-mouse-1.5
xf86-input-synaptics-1.2
xf86-video-mga-2.0
xf86-video-xgixp-1.8 (never has had a stable release)

-- D J Lucas