Xorg version

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:24:18 PDT 2009

Guy Dalziel wrote:

> I've heard,
> though, that X is going to use HAL to automatically grab all your system
> information, and that you won't need a xorg.config anymore. Personally, I
> don't see the need there either, 'Xorg -configure' usually does a pretty
> decent job and then you just run through it by hand. When it comes to things
> you write once and then forget about there isn't much need to make life easier.

I don't see how this can be detected automatically.  In my case I have two
monitors.  How can it detect what the orientation is?  Which screen is on the
left (or top)?  I also use nvidia drivers, not nv.  How would it detect what
resolution I want for the default?  There would have to be some kind of
configuration file for the system to use upon startup.