FYI: Mozilla.org projects update.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 05:59:06 PDT 2009

2009/7/30 DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org>:
> Just a heads up..if you want to build firefox-3.5{,1} against, system nss
> and nspr, all that is needed is to add ns{s,pr}-config.  You can use the
> ones provided in the current nss patch, just change the version numbers
> and the include dirs (both are /usr/include/xulrunner-1.9.1.1/stable/).
> This also must be done if intending to use xulrunner to provide nss/nspr.
> You will also need ns{s,pr}.pc files (symlink to mozilla-ns{s,pr}.pc).
>
> With those changes in place, the existing instructions work fine for XUL
> and FF (add system hunspell, and update the so symlinks for nss and nspr),
> but firefox is still trying to package it up and throws some 60 warnings,
> which AFAICT in casual use in TWM, can be safely ignored (I didn't look
> into it just yet).
>
> I also do not usually build stand alone nss/nspr since xulrunner is the
> primary (only?) consumer in my case.  The new Mozilla release version is
> 1.9.1.1 (XUL version), but still extracts to mozilla-1.9.1, and includes
> nss-3.12.3 and nspr-4.8.0. I'll probably grab the mozilla tickets (and nss
> too), but thought I'd drop a note for anybody who wants it now...no sense
> wasting an extra 20 minutes (or more) building xul a second time.

 I gave up trying to build XUL and FF (3.5) without separate nss, nspr.  FF
couldn't find nspr or nss.  Hacked the XUL build to install the nss-config that
it creates, but the nspr tests in FF's configure still couldn't find
prlog.h. So,
I editednss-config to pass the sdkdir as well (I'm using a fedora patch, so it
is called xulrunner-sdk-, without that it's probably still
xulrunner-devel-) : that
worked for nspr (although I don't fancy trying to generate the correct XUL
version automatically), but FF's configure then decided I didn't have system
nss and presumably built its own again.  Didn't try to use that version cos it
plainly wasn't built how I wanted.

 Went for separate nspr and nss, each with -config and .pc (e.g. epiphany
uses, or used to use, nspr.pc).  Apart from the hoops we have to jump
through to build these, it built ok.  But, this testing was in directories below
/opt.  For the nspr-nss-XUL-FF build I can only run firefox if I pass
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, otherwise I get the ubiquitous 'Failed to load XPCOM'
message.  Strace showed it was looking for libxul.so, but only in /usr/lib -
the library is actually under $PREFIX/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.1.  I'm hopeful
this will just work when I build it in /usr.

 Agree about the "packaging" warnings, ISTR mozilla packages have always
had a tendency to spew this sort of message.

 It's just a shame that things still need gecko : 3.5 without XUL seemed to be
a walk in the park.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"