Xorg version

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Thu Jul 30 02:05:47 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:03:16AM -0000, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Honestly, the only thing I can recall being a real problem is the hal
> input patch for 1.5.3 (and old hal that didn't account for new udev).

I don't use HAL myself, I tend to prefer to do everything by hand. I've heard,
though, that X is going to use HAL to automatically grab all your system
information, and that you won't need a xorg.config anymore. Personally, I
don't see the need there either, 'Xorg -configure' usually does a pretty
decent job and then you just run through it by hand. When it comes to things
you write once and then forget about there isn't much need to make life easier.

I'll give 7.4 a run-through and see how it does, the primary suspect is
probably the drivers - I use xf86-video-nv.