proposal (and an important message)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 26 14:22:20 PDT 2009

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 07/26/09 16:14 CST:

> However, please try to install as many dependencies of the package
> you are updating as possible. At least common and/or important and/or
> ones you think most folks will install.
>
> That way, we'll know those dependencies don't break the original
> package. Hope this makes sense to everyone. If not, let me know and
> I'll try to clarify.

I read this and I'm not sure it is clear so I'll give an example.

Say you are updating OpenLDAP. Of the optional dependencies listed,
try to install as many as you can (you don't need to go overboard
and install every one), just so we know that a build using the
optional dependency will build properly.

Now a package like PHP could take you a month to install all the
optional dependencies. I have in the past and it is time consuming
as hell. So use your good judgment.

Worry less about packages whose optional dependencies are simply
the programming bindings for the various languages. Only developers
really need them, and they should be able to figure out how to get
their binding installed.

I hope this makes better sense.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
16:15:00 up 20 days, 4:43, 1 user, load average: 1.23, 1.13, 0.77