consistency nitpick libogg, libvorbis

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 25 13:51:19 PDT 2009

Nathan Coulson wrote these words on 07/25/09 14:12 CST:
> I noted that libogg/libvorbis install static libraries by default.  Some of
> the packages have the --disable-static keyword mentioned when you have the
> option of not installing static libraries.
>
> In regards to not installing static libraries,  was that a policy change?
> or was it disabled on packages where other programs do not link to the .a
> files?  (Just wondering if this is something worth reporting)

There's never been any policy about this. Typically, we install whatever
the maintainer puts on the disk during 'make install'. If there is a
package where we intentionally suppress installing the static libs, then
there was some technical reason. I don't believe there are any packages
that do it "just to do it".

I do know that as Ken updates packages, he mentions in the "Command
Explanations" section that you can suppress installing the static libs
by doing --abc-xyz. He does that as a courtesy to those folks (like him)
that do not want any static libs on their system.

Hope this helped.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
15:47:00 up 19 days, 4:15, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.16