LFS-6.5-RC1 released

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 18 13:11:53 PDT 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 07/18/09 14:58 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> Isn't a 32bit platform becoming almost obsolete anyway?
>
> What applications or hardware do you have that require more than 32 bits?

That is not what I was driving at. Can you even go out and buy a 32bit
Intel/AMD machine right now? I doubt it.

So our client base is folks who have old hardware sitting around, or
have old hardware and want to keep using it. It's going to fail sooner
or later, though. I know, I have been building PC's (and supporting
vendor supplied ones) for coming up 20 years. I am speaking from
experience.

I know you are in the minority that would use a 64-bit machine with a
32-bit operating system, because you think there is no benefit using
64-bit OS. But not many folks look at it like that.

My point was that I feel there is going to be less and less client
base LFS will cater to as the days pass. Now, does that make my
position a bit clearer?

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
15:06:00 up 12 days, 3:34, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.39, 0.22