FreeGLUT vs. MesaGLUT

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Wed Jul 15 04:15:51 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:59:38PM -0700, Craig Jackson wrote:
> Now that the license warning has been added, does anyone have an
> opinion about one or the other strictly based on technical merits?  I
> personally prefer stable and commercial (yet still legal) to unstable
> and GPL.

Personally I don't see any reason to stick with a restrictive licence.
If there is a perfectly good free alternative then let's use it. The
nature of free software itself allows us the freedom to be able to
modify it any which way but loose; if an issue arose in MesaGLUT you
wouldn't be able to distribute any fixes that you make. The permission
to use it is not permission to modify it.
If anyone has any issues with freeglut I would like to hear them, as
from what I've heard it's very stable and has fewer bugs than GLUT.