What I'm currently using on my desktops

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:27:26 PDT 2009

 Last October I posted a note of what packages I was using, together with
dependency information.  Since then, not a great deal has changed, so this
time I've given more details for the "recipes".  Filed at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/desktop-2009-06/desktop-details-2009-06.gz
and the patches not in -patches are in the same directory (unless I've
missed any).

Probably doesn't cover everything that people need, but perhaps it will
have some helpful comments in it.  Specifically, these all build (and seem
to work) on gcc-4.3-series (e.g LFS-6.4).

Since then, I've become aware of vulnerabilities in libtiff (some new, some
longstanding), but apart from that I think it's all ok.

For me, this summer is definitely _not_ a time for playing with computers,
but I'll be looking to update most of my packages where there are newer
versions.  At the moment, all I know for certain is that firefox-3.5 builds
using the current instructions (as does 3.0.11, - people following the
development book should be able to follow the link to check for updates),
but for me firefox-3.5-on-xulrunner doesn't find some of the internal
mozilla headers - maybe because I'm trying it on /opt, or maybe it needs
a patch.

I should also mention that my ffmpeg instructions are perhaps defective:
looking at vlc the other day, ffmpeg would be more use with
--enable-avfilter --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab
but then, I didn't find vlc useful even with those additions, and they
didn't seem to make any difference to gnash, so YMMV.

If this is useful to you, enjoy!  If not, sorry for taking your time.

ĸen