[BLFS Trac] #2644: New package: Mono

William Immendorf will.immendorf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:42:19 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> William.  Drop it, please.  I read the license a week or so ago and your
> concerns are valid, however, they do not affect end users in so much as
> the worst MS can do is tell you to remove non-conforming libraries.  I'm
> not real familiar with C#, however, when I did read the license, I
> interpreted it that the burden of the all or none  compatibility is with
> the mono project itself.  If it really comes down to it, you can choose
> to skip the Microsoft provided bits (libraries?).  They are 'free to
> use' and are 'open source' but not free as in rights, you can't modify
> and redistribute.  If that were a valid argument, Sun's Java never could
> have been in the book either.  Fortunately, that is well on the way to a
> fix.
Not much packages use Mono anyway, and when Mono is used, the apps are
very slow. Also, M$ is thinking of taxing certan Linux distros, as
I've heard.
Also, most of the Mono apps have non-mono replacements, making Mono
pretty useless.

--
William Immendorf
The ultimate in free computing.

and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman