r8137 - trunk/BOOK/kde

Thomas Trepl thomas at equinox.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 3 13:47:01 PST 2009

Am Thursday 03 December 2009 19:19:49 schrieb linux fan:
> And the instructions appear to assume that you already have installed
> KDE3, which would imply some additional dependencies. I want to
> install KDE4 without having to first install KDE3 ... what to do??

Just follow the instructions. There is no need to have KDE3 installed for
building KDE4.  The wiki article simply assumes that there is a KDE3 desktop
allready, simply cause its in the book and KDE4 is the natural successor of
KDE3. But technically, it need not to be there. On the other side, when
having KDE3 installed there may some other packages installed too which are
also prerequisites to KDE4. But again, its no requirement and it could
sometimes have even disadvantages.

I think that the wiki articles are hints in addition to the BLFS book, just
addons. So some experiences in building a full featured systems should be
available.  There are no instructions about how to build QT-4.5 but it is
assumed that you're able to figure out how it should be built (which is no
big deal if you have it done with QT3 by following the books instructions).
You will see that QT4 can make use of MySQL and MySQL will later be required
by KDE4's Akonadi. But it is still optional - its up to you whether you
install it first or not. That is what I meant by experiences. You should know
to deal with a package and its dependencies.
With this in mind, the article gives you a perfect idea of how it could work
to setup a KDE4 desktop.

Btw, who wrote all that pages?  Wow, great work!!

--
Thomas