Trouble configuring xorg on a 64-bit system

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:56:54 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Bruce Dubbs<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been working on X today and have all the applicable packages installed.
>>> The problem is that I can't get it to start properly.
>>>
>>> I keep getting the message:
>>>
>>> FATAL: Module fbcon not found
>>>
>>> Below are excerpts of files that may have a bearing, but I can't get the system
>>> to come up properly.  Note that there are no errors indicated in
>>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>>
>> What version of xf86-video-intel are you running?
>
> xf86-video-intel-2.8.0.  I notice that there is a 2.8.1 driver now, but that
> doesn't seem affect loading.
>
> +New fixes in 2.8.1 compared to 2.8.0
> +------------------------------------
> +* Allow DRM mode setting to include transformations (also requires a
> + fix in the X server---available in xserver 1.6.3)
> +
> +* Align tiled pixmap height so we don't address beyond the end of our
> + buffers.
>

>> Can you show the whole Xorg.log?
>
> Not any more.  I got fed up an put in an old Nvida card I had.  That worked fine
> with the nv driver.  I even put in the nvidia driver and got that to work with a
> little tweaking.
>
>> With kernel mode setting, you want fbcon built into
>> the kernel (otherwise you won't get a console by default), but it has
>> a stupid interaction with xf86-video-intel. I just ran into this the
>> other day, and I think seeing the log will jog my memory. If you just
>> want to workaround this, boot with i915.modeset=0 (I think, it might
>> be nomodeset=0 instead).
>
> Looking at the code, I see src/i830_driver.c:
>
> /* Be nice to the user and load fbcon too */
>     if (!ret)
>    (void) xf86LoadKernelModule("fbcon");
>
> I suppose if you need me to, I can throw some debug statements into the code and
>
> Is this a kernel driver issue or an xorg driver issue?

Yeah, that's the one. If I recall, this FATAL is not really the one
bringing down X. Ah, now I remember. The "FATAL: Module fbcon not
found" is actually coming from modprobe since you have fbcon built in
and it can't find a loadable fbcon module. It's not actually fatal to
X since the module is loaded (and X wouldn't need it anyway). There's
gotta be a different error there, so I think we'd need to look at the
X log.

This is an Intel G45 or something? What type of monitor and connection
are you driving? If I had to take a guess, I would say that KMS is
failing for you. They're still working some of the bugs out to get KMS
up to the standard of the userspace modesetting from xf86-video-intel.
In that case, the options are to boot with i915.modeset=0 or try newer
kernels to see if things are fixed. Of course, whether you want to
pursue or not is up to you since you've got working nvidia graphics.
:)

--
Dan