Trouble configuring xorg on a 64-bit system

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:45:57 PDT 2009

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been working on X today and have all the applicable packages installed.
>> The problem is that I can't get it to start properly.
>>
>> I keep getting the message:
>>
>> FATAL: Module fbcon not found
>>
>> Below are excerpts of files that may have a bearing, but I can't get the system
>> to come up properly.  Note that there are no errors indicated in
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> What version of xf86-video-intel are you running?

xf86-video-intel-2.8.0.  I notice that there is a 2.8.1 driver now, but that
doesn't seem affect loading.

+New fixes in 2.8.1 compared to 2.8.0
+------------------------------------
+* Allow DRM mode setting to include transformations (also requires a
+ fix in the X server---available in xserver 1.6.3)
+
+* Align tiled pixmap height so we don't address beyond the end of our
+ buffers.

> Can you show the whole Xorg.log?

Not any more.  I got fed up an put in an old Nvida card I had.  That worked fine
with the nv driver.  I even put in the nvidia driver and got that to work with a
little tweaking.

> With kernel mode setting, you want fbcon built into
> the kernel (otherwise you won't get a console by default), but it has
> a stupid interaction with xf86-video-intel. I just ran into this the
> other day, and I think seeing the log will jog my memory. If you just
> want to workaround this, boot with i915.modeset=0 (I think, it might
> be nomodeset=0 instead).

Looking at the code, I see src/i830_driver.c:

/* Be nice to the user and load fbcon too */
     if (!ret)
    (void) xf86LoadKernelModule("fbcon");

I suppose if you need me to, I can throw some debug statements into the code and

Is this a kernel driver issue or an xorg driver issue?