Trouble configuring xorg on a 64-bit system

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 23:08:34 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working on X today and have all the applicable packages installed.
> The problem is that I can't get it to start properly.
>
> I keep getting the message:
>
> FATAL: Module fbcon not found
>
> Below are excerpts of files that may have a bearing, but I can't get the system
> to come up properly.  Note that there are no errors indicated in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

What version of xf86-video-intel are you running? Can you show the
whole Xorg.log? With kernel mode setting, you want fbcon built into
the kernel (otherwise you won't get a console by default), but it has
a stupid interaction with xf86-video-intel. I just ran into this the
other day, and I think seeing the log will jog my memory. If you just
want to workaround this, boot with i915.modeset=0 (I think, it might
be nomodeset=0 instead).

--
Dan