Xorg Libraries

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 10:36:47 PDT 2009

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Looks like the mirrors have not been sync'd with the auxfiles dir in
> Subversion.  1.2.2 should be the correct version of libX11.  I'd fix it,
> but IIRC, anduin is not the mirror master, so it'll be overwritten at
> next sync.

OK, it looks like we ahve several problems here.

First, the book points to anduin and anduin get updated from the master server
at rsync.osuosl.org / ftp.osuosl.org.  I update the master server manually.
That's one of the main purposes of the "Missing" messages that appear when there
are out of date packages on anduin.

Second, the portion of the book not directly associated with upstream packages
is not a part of the rsync automation.  quantum does get updated every day (from
anduin) with the book, but the aux files on anduin do not (including the
-mozconfig files).  I can do that, but we need to decide what to do.

I don't understand why the xorg/*7.4.{wget,md4} are updated.  If the contents
have changed, shouldn't the file name be updated.  Is this a 'stealth' upgrade?
I don't think a user should have to guess.  At a minimum, changes in these files
should be have a suffix e.g. proto-7.4-1.wget, proto-7.4-2.wget, etc. and the
book updated appropriately.

Do we want to keep multiple versions of files in trunk/auxfiles or should the
versioning be done in subversion?  We may indeed want to keep multiple versions
of files just like we keep multiple versions of packages in
http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/BLFS/conglomeration/, but we should
probably want to set up a current svn only area with symlinks to the current
files like we do with http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/BLFS/svn/.

In this case, the master would be svn on quantum and the easiest way to keep
anduin up to date us an `svn update` once a day.  I could do that anyway and
then any changes in the organization in the subversion repository would show up
automatically.

Let me know how you wnat to handle things and I'll set it up.