Recommended Dependencies

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at dementedfury.org
Sat Aug 29 09:35:42 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:20:01AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Required:  Package will not build/install/work without it.
> Recommended:  Package looses significant functionality without it or
> (new) causes issues with other packages if omitted.
> Optional:  Package gets additional functionality if it's included.

That's exactly the same system I used to decide that it could be
required. It doesn't really make sense to have GPM under recommended
as all you're loosing is the ability to use your mouse, it doesn't
really cripple the program. However, GPM is required for graphics, and
if I were to enable-graphics without GPM I would be met with `configure:
error: No graphics drivers found.' I don't think it would be too much to
have a `Required for graphics support' section in Links, that way we can
move all the graphics stuff for links under it and tell people that
"you'll need one of these, and one of these."